Aug 27, 2011

Summer and the Mother's Curse

As a teacher, I really do get the best of both worlds. During the summer I am a stay-at-home mom and during the school year I work. After many years of this split life, I can tell you that while there are pluses and minuses to both lifestyles, one thing is constant: KIDS. As a mom/teacher, there is never any break from them. Little kids, big kids, tweens and teens: I am surrounded 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I love my job, and I love my kids. But sometimes, I think I am losing my mind!

What is it about kids? Sometimes they say the most insightful, soulful things... and sometimes you wonder if there are any neurons actually firing in those brains.  Do you know what I mean? At times I feel completely and utterly insane! This summer I actually heard myself tell my children, "No one in this house should touch anyone else ever again!" Who says that? and actually means it? ME!!! That's who.

Whenever I thoroughly and completely begin to doubt my sanity, I think of  Bill Cosby's stand-up-routine-turned-movie: "Himself." A few weeks ago my husband checked the DVD out of the library for me in order to remind me that my our life is blessedly, laughably normal.


This clip from Cosby's routine beautifully illustrates the nature of my summer "vacation" (Yes, I had a conniption at least once a day. And my children are still not allowed to touch each other. ;-)


We are now one week into the school year. Summer is over and my days are now more reminiscent of Beavis and Butthead episodes (click the link for a glimpse of what life is like with teens in my classroom. I'm serious. Beavis and Butthead are alive and well in my classroom!)

Meanwhile, at home we are still having what I think of as "Cosby moments." Just the other night I told my daughter step by step what she needed to do to take a shower: get a towel, hang it on the towel rack, take off your clothes, turn on the water, get in the shower, and wash yourself.

However, I forgot to remind her to use soap. Did she use soap despite my lack of instruction? Of course not. Is it BRAIN DAMAGE??? Don't answer that.

All I can say is that I hope Bill Cosby is right when he says the mother's curse really does work. Many years from now I envision my daughter looking down into the innocent eyes of a wet but dirty child who is saying, "Well you didn't say I had to use soap!"




5 comments:

  1. I loved this!  Bill Cosby describes it perfectly!  I remember my mom listening to his records and thinking.... "what is so funny?"  Now, I get it!  Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, Tara! I know I laughed at some stuff when my parents listened to Cosby's routines, but I have a totally new appreciation now that I am a parent! Glad you had time to stop by and laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen! *ROTFL* I needed this post, bad. Thank you. I thought it was just me! Sometimes I hear myself and wonder what the neighbors think because I know they can hear me. Half the time I sound more like a drill sargeant, than a mom. Kids. They take us so literally ... when they want. Mine doesn't wash his hair. Even after I've asked him to "wet it, use shampoo, and rinse it." Still comes out half-dry. But he doesn't want my help. Oye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Ezzy--I don't even want to think about what my neighbor hears! We live in a duplex and share a wall with a single professional woman. She's been our neighbor since before we had kids and I can't imagine how annoying we are to listen to now! Kids...and LOL on your son's hair! I feel your pain, sister, I feel your pain :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally miss this kind of stand-up routine. Do you know I watched this same performance more times than I can count while growing up? He's funny without having to be offensive. Too bad this kind of comedy has lost its luster.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Start a conversation here!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...